Saturday, February 5, 2011

Who Am "I"?

There's a time where we start questioning all our surroundings, reevaluating our action plans and goals, and seeking proofs to define our reality. What is reality? What is normality? Who am "I"?

Who am I? I am defined by my society. I don't have the freedom to define who I am. I am shaped by the who, the what and the where. I am all that you and you and you and you are. I am because of you.

Yes, I have evolved and changed over the years as I changed my perspective of life. But why? Why did I change? What changed me?

You. Each and every one of you. Every heart-breaking, saddening, depressing, or empowering, epiphanous, enlightening moment I lived and experienced was memorable and influential.

This reminds me of a poem I wrote on June 19, 2008:


A Name, A Fingerprint, and A Smile

I will write you a letter,
To tell you how happy I am,
To tell you about my life: what I did and planning to do
To talk about my dreams and my accomplishments
I want to let you know of me,
The long way I took, and the way I am heading to.
So I reached to the paper and pen,
Wrote the title, the date and addressed it properly;
First word: Hi! Second word: ….
It was blank.
I don’t know who I am; I don’t know how far I got.
I acknowledge my past; I recognize I got somewhere, so called: The Present…
But what’s the catch? What’s different about me?
Just another name on the list? Another letter in a stack?
Another girl in a family? Another student in a university?
As far as I know I carved my name on the letter,
Stamped my fingerprint as my signature,
And sealed it with a smiley face…
That’s how far I got in knowing myself, but how far are you?



Note:

My name is a shallow code.

My fingerprint is what makes me the one and only me.

My smile is my memory of me to me and (hopefully) to you. "If you understand my smile, you'll understand me"

No comments:

Post a Comment